Wednesday, October 17, 2018

PNG to ASCII Art





The acronym ASCII stands for American Standard of Coded Information Interchange. ASCII art, also known as computer text art, is a unique graphic design technique that uses the ASCII Standard characters, in order to create interesting, often complex images. It is commonly found in online discussion boards, artistic websites, and computer games. There are several converters online for newer individuals to simply create ASCII art by uploading a PNG of their choice.

Enclosed is the PNG to ASCII art subject I chose. As a young woman in the Me Too Movement, I felt it was only right to choose the women's power symbol for this artistic project. I have always been a vocal feminist, unafraid to express my opinions and beliefs. The moment that changed everything for me was when I was tasked to write a research paper on an event of the 1960's and I chose women's liberation. Immediately, I was fascinated by the feminist movement and what it meant for women to unite in their beliefs and demand for their rights. Gloria Steinem was such an inspiration to me as a young girl, and she continues to amaze me with her eloquence and courageous personality.

Feminism is not about being better than men, but rather, recognizing the human rights men and women share, including but not limited to equal pay, voting rights, and job opportunities. It is very frightening to live in a society where people who find the courage to come forward and share their personal stories are often dismissed and written off, citing that these strong women are only hoping for their five seconds of fame. Victims of abuse should be listened to with respect and consideration. Too often individuals disparage those who speak out because instead of coming from a place of compassion, they choose to come from absolutism. The ability to empathize with others is not as revered as it should be, and the reality is that everyone deserves to be heard and validated.

This symbol signifies strength, integrity, independence. I am in sheer awe of the women like Gloria Steinem who paved the way for the feminist movement, and I hope that we as a society will come together to work towards eradicating the glass ceiling and ensuring the reproductive rights all women possess. One quote that has stuck with me is this, "Be the person you needed when you were younger." With that in mind, I hope to collectively corroborate with those around me and create a safer, more compassionate place for future generations.




No comments:

Post a Comment