Thursday, September 20, 2018

Broadway Shows

From a young age, I have had a deep rooted appreciation for theatre and the musical arts, in part due to my grandmother and mom who both share my enthusiasm for performing. My grandmother was a very proficient ballroom dancer in her time. Other family members of mine have also had performing backgrounds at one point or another in their lives. Music has always been a big part of my life. Consequently, I have seen a considerable number of Broadway productions, both live and recorded. I have also participated in theatrical productions from the time I was six years old, until I graduated high school. Among my favorite Broadway shows would be "Guys and Dolls," "Mamma Mia," and "The Phantom of the Opera."

"Guys and Dolls" holds a special place in my heart and always will because it was the first musical I participated in when I was eleven years old. I can still remember the names of my fellow cast members and the impression they made on me with their talent, diction, and professionalism. Additionally, "Guys and Dolls", in my opinion is such a lovely romantic comedy, and highly entertaining. The plot follows two couples in New York, Adelaide and Nathan, and Sarah and Sky as they navigate their feelings for one another. Nathan, a broke gambler, hopes to change his luck around by betting avid gambler, Sky, that he cannot convince the virtuous, Sarah Brown on a date. What ensues is the bet of a lifetime.

The second show I chose, "Mamma Mia," is equally important to me because it reminds me of my grandmother, who absolutely loves this musical. I remember there was a time where the only movie she would watch was the film adaptation for "Mamma Mia." Whenever I watch the production or listen to the soundtrack, I reminded of my grandmother and I cannot help but smile. Besides the sentimental value this show possesses for me, I find it incredible that writers were able to come up with such an entertaining musical comedy all from Abba hits. The ability to take such beloved music and set it to a story centered on self-discovery and family, is so incredibly commendable.

Lastly, I chose the eerie, dark, often times, frightening tale, "The Phantom of the Opera." As a child I remember seeing old black and white pictures from adaptations of "The Phantom of the Opera." They were horrifying and grotesque, but I was morbidly curious about the figure behind the mask, perhaps in a similar way to the musical's heroine, Christine Daae, was. Because of this curiosity, I decided to watch the film adaptation. Even today the film scares me, but it holds such immense artistic value. Three years ago, my mother and I saw the show live. It was such an enriching experience to see this masterpiece performed by such talented actors and actresses. I felt so inspired by their performance. These are only three of my personal favorite Broadway shows, but in time I hope to see a great deal more, and to perform again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment