Thursday, November 8, 2018

Music

DISCO
Manila Sounds is a Filipino disco band that started in the mid '70s.  Among their popular hits includes, "Ikaw and Miss Universe Ng Buhay Ko," which translates to "You are the Miss Universe of my Life." Their music was characterized by soft, mellow, and melodic sounds and heavily influenced by traditional Filipino Folk music, with a disco twist. In my opinion they tie into electronic music due to their influences and stylistic choices. I chose Manila Sound because I am a Filipina and I take pride in the accomplishments of Filipino artists and musicians.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk2PKaxFtzQ&t=155s

PUNK
Escape the Fate is a popular emo goth punk band, but sadly the band broke up in 2008 after the lead singer, Ronnie Radke, failed to report to his probation officer. Escape the Fate uses a lot of heavy metal screaming, electric guitar, as well as keyboard, which is how they incorporated electronic music influences into their work. Additionally, their performances utilize a lot of special effects such as lighting, smoke, and fire. Escape the Fate has always been one of my favorite rock/punk bands and it reminds me of when I was younger. That is why out of nostalgia, I chose to share their work on my blog.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn2OWygU9v0

GIRL POWER
For the Girl Power movement, I actually chose two artists to share because they are both equally important and talented in my opinion. Cardi B and Lana Del Rey embody power and an unapologetic self-awareness that I find quite admirable and befitting the feminist movement.Both in their music and in real life, they do not shy down from confrontation or from expressing their beliefs. Their confidence and unwavering courage is commendable. Cardi B makes elaborate music videos to accompany her songs, which is an effective use of technology. She also uses electronically created sounds within her music. Lana Del Rey records distinctive, often melancholy songs with literary influences. She has created an elaborate persona solidified through her strategic use of social media. Often times she posts videos with an almost ephemeral quality to them, hailing to a by-gotten age. Her early music videos are also interesting video compilations of her and other works. This is how she makes use of technology in her unique way. Many accredit her rise to fame thanks to her music video for her song, "Video Games." Lana Del Rey and Cardi B inspire me with their deliberate choices to be themselves, and for that I wanted to write about them both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE6wxDqdOV0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEGccV-NOm8

NINETIES
Hoobastank is an early '90s American rock band. They are still active today. Hoobstank includes post-grunge and alternative rock influences. As time went on and their popularity progressed, their sound matured and became more melodic than in previous years. This is especially noticeable in their album, "The Reason." Hoobastank can be considered a part of electronic music due to their alternative rock style and studio quality finished sound, and of course by their lighting and special effects during live performances. Hoobastank is not my favorite band, but they do remind me of when I was in grade school, so I thought I would include them in this activity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iiawZPHMWE

HOUSE
Deadmau5 is a part of the techno music movement. He is perhaps most known for his mouse hat that he wears while performing his electronic music. Deadmau5 features elaborate live performances with monitors, dazzling lights, and stunning graphics. He uses his laptop and a synthesizer to create his unsual and mesmerizing pieces. It is plain to see Deadmau5 very creatively incorporates technology into his work, from the music production to the actual performance and everything in between. For House influencers, I chose Deadmau5 due to his amazing creativity and unique style.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohzPoCjdx9E

No comments:

Post a Comment